Sunday, March 27, 2011

Extreme Couponing

So a few weeks ago, Brian watched this Extreme Couponing show and challenged me to see how much I could save.  I like a good challenge, so I accepted.  I've been clipping coupons and watching the ads, and this morning, I sat down and mapped out what to buy at 3 different stores in Defiance.  After my trip to Walgreens, I spent approximately $100, but saved $100.  I was pretty impressed!  I only bought what was on sale for a good price (none of this 25 cents off a $20 item "sale").  Some of the items we bought ahead and won't have to buy for another 6 months or more!  Even though Dad works there, I never realized how good of sales they have.  I'm sure, like all other stores, many of the other items were overpriced, but I stuck to my list....something I have trouble doing at the grocery store.  I need more DISCIPLINE!  I had hoped to stop at the other two stores, but with Curtis and trying to get over to see Grandma, and then get back to celebrate Grandma T's birthday, there just wasn't time.  I'll have to stop when I pass through on Friday and see how much more I can save! 

5 comments:

  1. Once you get the couponing down, take it to the next level - rebates. My sister combines sales, coupons, and rebates so that she gets paid to take stuff. If she gets more than she needs, she donates the extras to homeless shelters and food pantries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walgreens does have reaaly great sales but I didnt realize they were that great. Ill be sure to pay closer attention next time I go. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha, Where do you find out about the rebates? I don't often see them in the ads.

    Alyssa, Walgreens has "Register Rewards" which are intended for your NEXT visit. However, they're effective immediately. What the clerk told me to do was ring up the items with rewards first, then do a second transaction with all the non-rewards stuff and use the reward dollars. That way you don't have to wait to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also began to do some major couponing. I started when I saw this one lady at Giant Eagle that had at least 200 printed coupons.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love couponing, but my husband feels I buy stuff that I wouldn't have if I didn't have a coupon. That is why I try not to take him shopping with me.
    I have heard about Walgreens sales and I need to watch them closer.
    I love that Rewards trick, I might have to use that.

    ReplyDelete